Monday, October 5, 2009

Day 1

The next time I would hike the 'ghee, I'd be carrying a snowboard.

On September 29th, Chris and I had a great ride out Teton Canyon to the boy scouts camp.  We were just dorking around, and it was a great ride on which to finish the riding season (in the valley at least).  On September 30th, it started to snow.  

This is the morning of October 1st.

Michael's house and backyard (the pump track is back there).



The valley, with the big holes in the distance.


I wondered how much it snowed at the 'ghee, but I had no snowboarding gear so i didn't care that much.  I was hanging out at the coffee shop doing stuff on the internet when I overheard someone say "20 inches" talking about Targhee.  I clarified that they meant that Targhee had 20 some inches of snow.  They did.  I texted friends to inform them.  

Then Chris called, said that he and Dino were headed up to go snowboarding and that he had extra gear for me.  SCORE!  I hauled over to Dino's place.

On the drive up the hill, we noticed increasing snow depth.

Oh SNAP!



We were prepared to dork around, but not to do legit hiking, lacking primarily in board carrying backpacks and water/beer.  We got three half-mountain runs.  The first was rough.  I was borrowing a 156, the shortest board I've ever ridden, and it was a powder day with no base.  I hit lots of rocks and fell over a lot.  The subsequent runs were much better.  We stayed on better pitches and I had the hang of the little board.  All in all, a fun day 1, but I'm not ready to stop riding my bike!

Chris and Dino

Dino (a wind and geothermal energy entrepreneur)

hiking

The next day:


Chris texted me today (October 5th) to let me know it was still snowing.  Indeed, snow is in the forecast for every day forecasted.  shit!

No comments:

Post a Comment