Friday, January 30, 2009

on the road

I left ithaca Monday the 26th around three thirty.  Stored some stuff, and took this last picture of a familiar place (the front yard of my grandparents' place in elmira).

The road was long.  I remember having a lot of funny thoughts along the way, but I can't remember them anymore.  It's probably okay though, because I do remember that this one loop I walked repeatedly at a rest stop was 45 seconds long, 171 paces, and 76 sidewalk squares.  So the funny things I thought of probably aren't.  Here's a funny sign on one of the great lakes.  I will refrain from jokes.
A pretty sunset not long after:

On the drive i took some pictures, listened to as much news as I could find, overplayed the Raconteurs cd, played mandolin at rest stops, drove 10 miles under the speed limit to save gas, slept comfortably in my truck to a new low of 0 degrees, and cursed nebraska (the state is too wide).

Here's my rig.  In this picture I'm cooking lunch (probably in nebraska)
My sleeping halves are on the right.  On the left is a bunch of other shit.  It's surprisingly well organized, and by the end of the driving portion I was well set up for road tripping.  The objective of the organization is to minimize the risk of frostbite while trying to find a can of chili or some ramen.  Finding a towel, or deodorant, was difficult, because I didn't really need to find these things.  I also have a night stand and a nice wooden crate for bedside storage.
All in all, very comfy.  Great for sleeping.  Bad for living.  When it's at least twenty-five degrees and sunny with calm winds it's good for living too.  Too bad that won't happen very often.















No comments:

Post a Comment