Tuesday, June 16, 2009

catching up....

Here are some pictures from my drive through Colorado.  

The bear:


This is the view from the entrance to Teton Canyon, the place where I camped for a couple of weeks:


Work is going well.  About half the mountain has melted so we have been able to do some trailwork--mostly rebuilding berms, buffing trail, etc.  The black (difficult) trail should melt out fairly soon and I'm pretty excited to see what that's like.  I hear good things from the local riders I've met.

In addition to trailwork at the 'ghee, I've been getting involved with the trailwork up on Teton Pass.  Surely I've mentioned it...this is where folks are building legal trails with big jumps and such.  A few days ago I got Harlan's number, who I found out later is basically "the man" when it comes to trailbuilding.  He, I think, got the ball rolling on the stuff out on the pass.  

So yesterday I joined Harlan and some other folks to continue working on a big jump line off of the Parallel trail.  We worked on cutting the lip for a step up after a 35 foot gap/step up jump.  Some folks hit it, and it looked great.  

From the lip:

Airborne:


I've had a bunch of days off as we switch from Mon-Thurs schedule to Wed-Sat.  I thought maybe I'd skip out of town (constantly raining) for Moab, but decided that I ought to save the money.  I got a bunch of riding in on Friday and Saturday, got caught in hail and lightning on Sunday, did trailwork yesterday, played a bunch of fiddle, and today I'm using the internet!

I am now living in employee housing.  I pay $175 a month and get a brand new fully furnished really nice apartment to myself.  I dig it.  I bought a slow cooker at the thrift store for 4 bucks, which I am enjoying immensely.

There's a fiddle contest on July 5th.  I think I'll enter if I can get off from work.  I've been practicing for it, cranking my way through a book of Cajun tunes, and working through all the old classics.  I look forward to playing my acoustic!

I'll try to stay better updated...it's tough to catch up on a weeks worth...

No comments:

Post a Comment