Monday, June 8, 2009

vandalism?

Yesterday I parked on Kelly St, in front of my buddy's place in Jackson around 4.  I went for a road ride, 'cause the weather cleared up nicely.  I had a cool ride up this switchbacked road that went on for way longer than I thought.  I raced the rain to the top, bombed back down, and cleaned myself up.  Then, while packing up my truck, I noticed that one of my cap windows was shattered all over.  There was a small hole, and a tear in the upholstery of the cap on the inside.  Someone shot out my window!  

I'm annoyed at the expense and primarily the trouble that it will cause me to get it fixed, but I'm a little miffed at who would run around taking pleasure in causing other people hassle and expense.  Weird.  I'm not totally surprised...it's an expensive truck, and has Georgia plates...but I did think Jackson was a pretty safe place.  The neighbor said that it's not the first car on that street to have a window shot out.  So now I get to ride around with cardboard over it.  sweet.  Fortunately it was during the daytime and I wasn't sleeping in it!

Today we got to work on trails!  We started at the bottom of the beginner dh trail, called Sidewinder.  It needed some drainage work, some snow shoveling, lots of general raking and smoothing, and I did a little "extra" work--made a rock roller feature, and built a little tiny high speed hip jump (shhhh).  I was stoked to work on trails, but nasty weather (hail/snow) rolled in after lunch and we called it a day at 1.  I suggested we wait it out, but folks were eager to bail, I guess.  I'm eager to get these trails in good shape so we can build some more.  I hope the rest of the crew catches my excitement...they didn't seem too excited about working on trails, but I know what I'm doing.  I tried to teach/show folks proper ways to make trails, how to use the dirt, etc.  I think Mike thought I was being an ass, which I tried really hard not to.  We need to talk over trail construction BEFORE we go out into the field, else I'll just teach by correcting mistakes, which of course makes me feel like an ass.

Fellow crewman Dave has an extra room in his house, rented by his fellow housemate Dave.  If I were to take it, three Daves could live under one roof.  The room was tiny and didn't have a bed, but other than that it was ok.  The garage was spacious and had a bike stand, a tool that holds the bike so you can work on it.  The house is also next door to a city park, where, rumor has it, a pump track and dirt jump park will soon be built.  That's the kind of backyard I want.  If the landlord goes down on rent (from $400) I may consider it.  Aside from that there's a place in Drictor (the space between Driggs and Victor) that is cheap (300) and the housemates want a musician.

Off to the grocery store (exciting!).  Fellow crewman Pete just walked by the coffee shop, and I think I'll join him, Sarah, and Jackie to watch a hockey game.  I'll probably use their kitchen too...

No comments:

Post a Comment