Sunday, March 29, 2009

another snow day

Today was another great day of snow.  13 inches in the AM, 18 by 2 pm.  Tomorrow will surely also be awesome.  

Rode the Nidecker today, which sure is fun when I'm riding fast open terrain, but I just cant flip my turns in steep chutes and trees like I can on my salomon.  I'll be on the salomon tomorrow, searching for deep snow in the trees :)

Well when I drove to Colorado I saw desert terrain and red rocks.  That's when I decided it was time to call it quits on the snowboarding and go ride bikes.  Then I had a lot of fun in Utah with my friends and then it started snowing here...and I'm happy to end snowboarding season on a great snowy note.  

So we have a week left in the season at Jackson, which sounds about right to me, and then I'll jump ship for Moab or Fruita or some similar southwestern mountain biking mecca.  Hopefully I'll start climbing, too.  Then I'll shoot back to NY to see friends and get some biking gear, and then start working early to mid may.  Working where?  That's the question.  I rode the lift with a ranger in Teton park.  He suggested I call the park to check for open positions--that often times they weren't listed with USAjobs.  I'll call soon to look into trail crew positions.  I would love to work outside on trails all day.

And tomorrow I have a phone interview with Mountain Racing Products (MRP) to whom I shot a resume when I spotted their craigslist ad for a degreed mechanical engineer.  Yes I am degreed!  MRP makes tensioners, bashguards, forks, pedals, and seatposts (i think...)  They are most well known for their DH chainguide products and their forks (marketed under white industries).  I miss using my brain and I'd enjoy working with mountain bikers in Colorado.  Besides, I stopped in Grand Junction on my way to Crested Butte and there were mountain bikers and bike shops all over the place.  Trails are dry there!

My friend here Dan is also trying to figure out his summer.  What appeals most to him now is buying an old VW Vanagon listed in the classifieds and being a climbing bum this summer.  He proposed that I sell the Toyota, pitch in for the Vanagon, and join.  I declined.  It would be fun to park together though, I hope he goes for the climbing bum plan.  I proposed that he backpack all summer, but he has no gear or experience, and isn't sure that he would even enjoy backpacking all summer (what is there to do but walk around and eat?).  Fair enough, I guess you really have to like being alone in the woods for that to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment