Thursday, March 26, 2009

good days

Well the night before last I was kicking myself for leaving Utah.  SLC region was getting dumped on, and Jackson was pretty dry.  I was sure I made a mistake. 

Then it started snowing late that night.  Six inches by sunrise was all I needed to hop out of bed.  It snowed all day, but you could still feel the crust under the fresh snow.  At the end of the day, the snow picked up, dumping another foot overnight.  The 24 hour total ending this morning was 21 inches.  

I got over to the resort at 8:30, intending to meet up with Billy the kiter who could get me half price tickets.  Billy didn't show, so I bought a full price ticket.  

The tram didn't open until 10 or so, but it was worth the wait.  We were third tram car, giving us some great tracks in Rendezvous bowl.  Today was my first day riding the tram, and it was sweet.  The thing covers more than four thousand vertical feet in the blink of an eye.  

We scoped out Corbets Coulouir (a very difficult steep chute that starts with a 20+ foot drop to ice.  Steel and Doug said they were doing it (before they saw it), while I was not so sure.  After scoping no one did it, and we got down to business.  The morning was great.  Great tracks on all sorts of stuff.  Deep, fresh, and steep.  There were lift lines, though, and we were always waiting for somebody, so the morning was kind of slow.  I finally busted out on my own because I was tired of waiting (no friends on a powder day), and the folks I wanted to ride with skipped out of bounds and I didnt know where they were going.  Yesterday the mountain was empty and you could get good tracks all day, but not today.

It got warm and the snow got heavy.  I ended the day totally spent.  

I'll probably get up early and do it again tomorrow (without the $87 ticket).  I expect they'll open casper bowl and the crags (in bounds hiking terrain).  I have a few things I need to do during business hours, though.  I'll probably try to be really productive in the morning, because afternoons after riding are always very, very lazy.

Oh yeah, and the forecast is for another storm this weekend and next week.  Out like a lion.

No comments:

Post a Comment