Thursday, March 12, 2009

good snowboarders

I was graced with good snow and good riders on tuesday and wednesday.  

Manual got into the hostel on Monday night.  He flew to Vancouver from Switzerland mid January and is flying out of Buenos Aires in December--epic trip, huh?  In between he's traveling and doing some snowboarding.  He bought a dodge neon in vancouver.  He's a funny dude, and a skilled rider. 

We rode on Tuesday, a cold (~10 degrees), windy, snowy day.  The snow was awesome, and certain aspects were getting way wind loaded, so it was fresh tracks every run.  The downside was that visibility was dreadful.  I had some trouble with the visibility...

I led for a while because I knew where the goods were, but once we both knew where we were going I got to follow Manual for a bit.  It was fun.  He threw 180s all over the place, the occasional 360, and was way more playful than me.  I tried to imitate his riding with limited success.  

At one point, we were at the bottom of moran woods taking a break.  I said it looked like good snow over that way, to which he said, "I go dis way" and ollied off a rock through a thin patch of willows.

We went out that night, nothing eventful, played some pool.  Me, Dan, Manual, and Sarah were chatting in a bar when Manual looked up, pointed at the tv, and yelled "Soccer!".  He promptly ran to the tv.  I guess there's some big soccer thing going on.

Manual did the tourist thing yesterday and I got out around noon.  I stopped at the transit station to offer rides (so I can park for free), and that's where I picked up Josh.  I didn't have enough people for the free parking (which I got anyway), but I didnt feel like waiting so we booked it for the mountain.  Josh grew up in Lander and riding at Jackson.  I think he's fresh out of high school, and headed for the northeast for college although I forget where.

I was super sore from the day before, and I knew this kid was going to give me a run for my money...Fortunately I kept up just fine (I learned my keep up skills from Adam).  Following Josh was amazing.  He regularly popped 3's while riding about as fast as I can go.  I also spotted a couple of fives and one 720.  He also aired an impressive gap off a catwalk.  It was inspiring to watch, and reminded me that I learn things by example, and if I want to step it up I gotta ride with people like Josh and Manual.  

Today I goofed around popping 180s, ollying shrubs, jibbing on stumps, riding switch, and even got one 360 around on a small hip.  I'm working on the trick where you smack your board into some object (like a tree or a park obstacle), and use that force to rotate 180.  It was fun to goof around.  

My board has started to delaminate on the heelside edge.  I will try to fix it, but I have to stop riding it for at least three days to fix it.  This was all the encouragement I needed to buy a new board.

The selection is slim in Jackson.  This late in the season all that's left are short park boards and a couple of long, stiff mountain assault boards.  I'm looking for a mid-flex all mountain board between 160 and 163 cm.  The extra length will give me a bit more float in powder, and I don't want to overdo it with stiffness.  One shop had a Burton Supermodel X 161, for out of my budget, one had a Salomon Answer 161 that was tempting but I read bad things on the internet.  There were a few arbors at the village, but for some reason I didn't like the shape of the element (I've always wanted an element).

After riding I drove out to Victor.  I was going to buy a board--either an Illuminati for cheap (the board maker is quitting and selling inventory) or something from the shop out there--Habitat.  I have seen a few broken illuminatis on the mountain, so I'm hesitant to buy one without any sort of warranty.  I walked out of habitat with a Nidecker Platinum 163 midwide.
It's a gorgeous board.  We'll see how it feels.  I got occasional toe and heel drag on my salomon, even though my salomon boots are size 9.  My old boots were 11s.  I got confused at the store and reported my size as 10.5 or 11, making the selection of the mid-wide board OK.  

I think, though, that with my history of heel/toe drag on the salomon, I should be okay with the mid-wide.  It's probably a centimeter wider at 264 cm, barely out of the range of 'normal' boards.  The increase in width + the extra length will be a significant change (although it's also a short 163, more like 61 or 62).  The owner marked it down from 600 to 350.  Like everyone else around here, I guess he's worried about getting rid of his inventory...

Did I mention it's gorgeous?  click on the link above to check it out.  if you're too lazy, it's all black with some gold inlays and a clear spot in the middle where you can see the wood core, the carbon strips, and a four leaf clover.  hand made in switzerland.  I'm stoked to ride it, and I really hope I like it.  I'm not sure what I'll do if I dont...

No comments:

Post a Comment