Thursday, April 2, 2009

bunch o stuff

I had a day of work today...swept dusty construction floors for 7 hours.  Didn't even have a dust mask in the morning...good times.

I don't know if I mentioned it before, but a week or two ago the gondola stopped accepting beer as a pass.  Apparently someone got in an accident and told the patrollers they rode the gondola for free (bad call).  So I've been giving beer to the lifties at AV, but it's not nearly as good.  First of all it's a nasty traverse to get to the goods, AV is kind of low, and doesnt get the snow that the upper mountain does.  I also can't ride the lower faces...basically I'm really limited and it's a bummer.  I can't ride with my buddies much, either.  I'm tired of the BS and limited access.  Unfortunately this coincides with all this snow.

I borrowed Dan's pass a couple of days ago.  I got up the Tram just fine, did some upper mountain laps, and rode the gondola a couple of times.  I knew the gondy lifties knew I didn't have a pass, but I figured we were cool because I've been feeding them beer for two months.  On my third gondy run, the liftie (who had scanned me through before without saying a word) took a look at Dan's pass and cut it off with his knife.  He could have asked for it.

He claimed he got $50 for turning in a pass (they actually get 30) but it would cost Dan $87 to get it back from the resort.  So I offered the liftie 60 bucks and said that I knew they only got 30 but I appreciated him hooking me up for two months.  He took my money, we had a little chat.  I told him I was under the impression that we were on good terms and I didn't think that they would care, and if they had a problem with it I expected they would kindly let me know before they yank my pass.  He said he was insulted (like I thought they wouldn't recognize me??) and that money is money, but he didn't want to be "that guy"... guess he blew that one.  At least I didn't lose Dan's pass.

I've been crashing Dan and John's apartment, but now I'm paying for it.  It's 130 for a week, just a bit cheaper than the hostel.  Plus it's good company.

I've been thinking about my upcoming birthday...in a purely materialistic manner.  Right now I would enjoy a single person tent, a lift ticket for jackson so I can enjoy one good powder day with full mountain access, and a new bike helmet.  I'll keep thinking.

I'm still applying to jobs, hopefully I'll start getting feedback soon.  Need to call teton park and olympia park in washington and stop by dornans to say hi in person (already submitted an online app).  

Oh yeah my phone interview went well.  I think I'll probably be invited for an in person interview, we'll see.  I would be joining a team of 12 with only 2 engineers.  Talk about a small team.  I'd be stoked to join something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment