Monday, April 6, 2009

last day of Jackson riding

Yesterday was the last day of the season for the Jackson Hole Mountain Resort.  It was sunny and warm, making for some nice spring conditions in the afternoon.  I ripped a bunch of runs and had a good time, although getting on the mountain was tough because they were checking bags for beer heading up the lifts--not to stop people like me, but to cut down on the alcohol related incidents at the resort.  On April 1st someone broke a Tram window with a snowball. This apparently will cost an obscene amount of money to fix.

April 1st was Gaper Day on the mountain.  From urban dictionary:
 gaper is a skiier or snowboarder who is completely clueless. Usually distiungished by their bright colored clothes and a gaper gap, the gap between goggles and a helment/hat. Gapers also do the "Gaper Tuck" which is an attempt at being a ski racer by tucking, however, it is done incorrectly with the poles sticking straight up like thunderbolts and lighting, very very frightning! Gapers also sit at the bottom of jumps and try and go big off table tops in the park.
1. My eyes are burning from that gapers bright colored clothes. 
2. I fell off the chair laughing at that gaper tuck. 
3. Did you just see that gaper getting landed on because he was sitting like a dumbass at the landing of a jump. 

Mostly gaper day is an excuse to get wasted and play dress up on the mountain, as was yesterday.  there were chickens, pigs, dudes in suits, girls in shiny clothes with feathers, a dude with horns and armor playing metal on a little music player, people in chaps, people in underwear, you name it.  I dont have any pictures sadly, but if you google "gaper day" some videos come up and you can get a sense of it.

So it was a good last day (although since gaper day snowballs are strictly forbidden at the resort).  After riding I went fishing for a while, where I was frustrated by my poor hatch matching.  Those damn trout are smart sometimes.  If it looks tasty, they should just eat it and they definitely shouldnt be spooked by that dude waving his arms around on the bank.

After fishing I went to Steve's apartment, where the crew of Elevation Imaging (where Steve, Steel, John, and some other friends work) gathered to commemorate the season's end.  I drank aplenty and we played a game where you position a sled on the top of a small hill, run at it, jump on it, and try to ride it out.  Good times all around.  There are some pictures that I'll be sure to post.

I ditched the truck at Steve's place and caught the bus with John, Doug, and Dan.  The later buses in Jackson can be pretty ridiculous (lots of drunk people).  

We arrived back at the pad and someone came up with the idea of hiking the butte behind it.  It seemed like a good idea at the time.  I stumbled my way up the 1300 vertical feet of the butte and then stumbled back down (the footing was tough!).  When I got back to the apartment my hands were bloody and my shins battered.  Needless to say I woke up mighty bruised and sore this morning, but not the least bit hung over.  Next time, though, I'll wear my hiking boots.


No comments:

Post a Comment