Monday, April 13, 2009

my first traffic accident

First off--no one got hurt, which was lucky.

I was cruising back from seeing my Grandparents and picking up some bikes and stuff.  I was coming down church street, doing the speed limit at 35 or so, when I approached a green light.  Some car ran the red light coming out of the right, and I slammed on the brakes.  We almost missed each other, but I clipped his tail.  No one lost control, I pulled a quick U-turn and pulled up behind the car.  Two young dudes got out, and immediately apologized.  (I was pretty sure I went through a green light but it was nice to get some confirmation).  I proposed we pull up into that circle over there, and we did.  

They called their mom and some other folks, and I called the cops to file a report.  I could smell their brakes big time.  Apparently he was on the brakes but they werent working.  Mom came, so did some other folks including someone who I think was a pastor.  

The cops came, ended up impounding the vehicle...yada yada.  I will probably need a new front bumper, a new foglight, and some headlight adjustment, but the damage looks pretty minor.  Fortunately no one's vehicle was badly damaged, and no one hurt, but someone's insurance will be paying for my damage (and it won't be mine).  Hopefully the insurance companies will work things out in a timely manner (yeah right) so I can get on the road or whatever...

I was surprised how quickly it happened, glad that the kid decided to stomp on the gas, and glad that I was quick to the brake pedal.  Otherwise I could have ended up with my grill in the driver's face, which would not have been pretty.  Everyone (except the mom at times) took it pretty well in stride.  Apparently the car was JUST picked up at the mechanic (described as shady), and the mechanic told the kid that it wasn't ok but he could drive it.  The kid described his drive (he had already run two other red lights because he couldnt brake).  I hope he learns to slow way down or stop if his brakes aren't working.  I don't know if I learned anything...just that going the speed limit is good, but I don't speed anyway.  Lucky!

And now I'm going to play some legit fiddle on a legit acoustic instrument and it's gonna sound great!

No comments:

Post a Comment