Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Jobs

I had my phone interview for the volunteer wilderness dude position.  It would be pretty much an amazing way to spend the summer, but I don't think I can take the position 'cause I'd be broke when I finished and I don't want to be broke.  Too bad, hopefully I get another chance to spend a summer wandering around in the wilderness, but I probably won't.

Right now I'm hoping that Grand Targhee (a ski resort about an hour north of jackson) takes me on for their trail crew.  They are starting to run bikes, so I'd get to help build and maintain some bike trails as well as the ski trails.  They work a 4 day week, so I'd have lots of time to ride.  

Dan and I just got back from a free church dinner (I'm resuming writing this entry after several hours).  Despite the fact that religion kind of creeps me out, the folks were awesome and the food was good.  The pastor, Eric, is a civil engineer at Rendezvous Engineering.  He recommended I apply and I'll drop off my resume tomorrow--despite the fact that he's not working now because there simply is no work.  He's also a mountain biker, and invited me out to Moab with their crew in May.  I'm so stoked to ride Utah, you have no idea.

Apply apply apply I am learning...

Apparently it doesn't get dark until 10 in the summer?  Getting off at 4 or 5 no longer seems so bad.  

At any rate, tomorrow I leave for NY.  I'm excited to get to NY, not excited about the drive.  I was telling Dan that someone really ought to cut the middle of the country out or something, because then the east and the west could be really close to each other.  Yes this is insensitive and I guess we need farming, but it sure would be nice if you could get to the Rockies from the Atlantic in a day's drive.

I think that I'll spend about a week in Ithaca, drive south to Atlanta for a few days, and then take the southern route through Texas to Utah and probably Jackson after that.  I've never been to Texas.  We'll see how I do with gas money, but my expenses are pretty minimal now that skiing is done.  My expenses will now be food, gas, and health insurance.  Food is big, and I'm not going to try to cut my spending on food (like food from the grocery store).  I like food.

Dan got his first taste of fly fishing today (he watched me fish).  We caught a couple of nice cutthroats that rose to a griffiths gnat, but then I lost my griffiths gnat to a fish and couldn't entice them to rise to a similar small fuzzy fly.  Stupid fish...

3 comments:

  1. You're coming to Atlanta?! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. as always, you have a place to crash in NYC. My apartment is 2 blocks from 95. And your car will totally not get stolen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am personally glad to hear that you like food and you don't like being broke.
    Maybe we didn't completely fail as parents. (grin)

    ReplyDelete