Wednesday, February 18, 2009

and i thought yesterday was good

Put a foot on top of yesterday and you have today.  

I didn't think it was going to snow, it started to clear yesterday.  However there's a dude at the hostel with a gnarly snore, so I woke up nice and early, called the snow hotline, found out it snowed a foot and was still snowing, and laid in bed excited for a few minutes, and then booked it for the mountain.  

I arrived to the mountain with Dan, Steel, and a transient at the hostel named Blake.  Blake's from Toronto, and Jackson is a stop on his skiing road trip, which includes a bunch of resorts in BC, a couple in Utah, Jackson, and maybe some more.  I laced up to the great sound of bombs going off on the resort.  

Made it to the gondola around 9, but it didnt open until 9:20 or so.  We hauled up the gondy and rode thunder for a couple of runs.  Nice snow, you can still get through to the scrapey base, but it's hard to do.  

Then we met up with someone Steel works with and headed to Sublette.   Took a couple of bivy woods runs, a couple elsewhere, and then traversed for the expert chutes.  I had told myself earlier that I wasn't going to look at the chutes until we got some snow.  

The chutes looked great, I dropped in the first or second chute (there are about eight) to avoid hiking.  It was steep, with a few rocks to work around, and maybe 70 yards long.  This is the first drop in so far that has scared me.  

But it was butter.  The snow was waist deep and not bumpy.  I shot out of the chute totally stoked. 

Steel's buddy dropped in the next chute over, which was completely untracked (at 11!).  We regrouped, and worked our way back to sublette to do it again.  On our next shot I bit my tongue in a spill and had to head down to the base to make sure nothing was badly damaged, no dangly chunks so I worked my way back to thunder.  I met up with Dan, who had lost the rest of the group, and we rode some more.  Dan quit and I rode casper for a while (my default chill lift), traversing to moran fields which was fantastic.  A couple of gondola runs (which serves some great terrain), and time was up.

If I do snowboard tomorrow it will probably be a hiking day.  They never opened the hiking terrain so I can still get fresh tracks...and it's still snowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment