Sunday, February 1, 2009

happy hour

I finally sucked it up and went to a bar by myself, something that feels weird and depressing.  Happy hour at the cadillac is a good deal--2 for 1, 5-7.  Thankfully, it didnt take long to jump in on some conversation.  

The guy a few stools over, an  older, tattooed dude many years my senior was talking loudly about his experiences hiking the AT and the pacific crest--an easy conversation point.  That's how I met Ronnie and Jamie, employee and manager, respectively, of the thrift store next door.

both were super friendly, we talked for an hour or so, and ronnie offered me a spot in his driveway to park if the cops give me trouble at albertsons.  jamie also suggested the library for parking.  they also offered to introduce me to Andrew A, a dude my age who does some backcountry snowboarding and works at their store.  He wont be around till thursday though.

About the time I was getting ready to leave for my dinner at the hostel, Jim showed up.  he didnt offer up much information about who he was or what he was doing here (ronnie said he was ornery, jim claimed he learned from ronnie), but after many questions I determined that he has something to do with green energy production and home renovation here in Jackson.  I'll definitely try to catch Jim again.

I always try to avoid mentioning the fact that I went to Cornell, even more the fact that I have a masters, unless surrounded by similar academic folks.  There's always that brief--oh, you're smart--that's awkward.  Usually it goes away pretty quickly but not always, and sometimes I think if it comes up to early in a conversation you kind of lose the other person.  I didn't mention it with ronnie and jamie, but got a similar reaction with my major.  I'm okay with that.  Mechanical engineers may be smart, but Cornellians are known to be snooty I think, and I think it may be that aspect that can ruin a good conversation.

So my first solo bar experience was a good one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment