Thursday, February 26, 2009

a little riding, weird weather

The weather has been really warm recently in Jackson.  We got a few inches of snow, but it's heavy snow (and here you get to be picky about what kind of snow you want).  

I got out for a half a day on Tuesday.  I planned for a full day but got tired after a few hours.  Not bad riding. 

I went with Mike from Calgary.  Conditions were mixed--pretty crusty under the heavy snow.  He came around me on the first run and straight-lined it down a groomer, picked up too much speed, and biffed super hard after a cat track.  Knocked out his wind pretty good and definitely a tough way to start the day.

Mike came down from Canada, much like Blake, to escape winter drought conditions up there.  He said yesterday that they got some snow--the first for two months!

Came back from riding, ate, passed out, and went to Hoback.  They need bike builders right now, you get payed by the bike.  I could definitely build some bikes.  I go back on Tuesday to talk to the head mechanic.

Haha then Mike and I went to Carlie's church for some free Mardi Gras food and drink.  Those church folk pour strong drinks, that's for sure.  They also make delicious red beans.  After stuffing myself we met up with Doug and Steel for some billiards.  Tables were full, so Steel challenged a couple of older guys from Milwaukee.  With drinks at stake they accepted, and we ended up both playing pool and drinking for free.  Cool guys...Bob and Steve, but way older than I thought they were (~40).  All in all a good night of free stuff!

Had a slow day yesterday, futsing around, reading the news, doing laundry...got a few runs in later in the day in some heavy, wet snow.  Too slow and very sticky, with terrible visibility.  Probably the least enjoyable runs as of yet, but my shins were hurting too.

The plan was to meet up with Rebecca last night in Salt Lake, but she had some flight troubles so we met up today instead.  It's very good to see her, I'm happy she was able to make the trip out here.  We grabbed some food and passed out (she's sick, I've pretty much kicked it).  

It was nice to go for a drive today.  The drive from Jackson to Salt Lake is about 5 and a half hours, and much of it is very scenic.  I was glad to do it in the daytime, and I took the more scenic, and also more direct, route.

Now I'm awake (obviously) and wondering if I'll be able to sleep after my long evening nap.  I was kicking myself for forgetting my book when I checked my email and saw a common sight--a reminder to blog from my dad.  Fair enough, I didnt realize it'd been so long.

There is a terrible lack of pictures recently.  I promise this will change.  I don't know if you all are bored without pictures, but I know I am.  Apparently you can search for "dave jumps rock" on youtube and you get something, but I didn't.  I still need to post that avalanche footage too, I'll get on that early next week.

Oh yeah did you know that Aerobie, makers of the weird frisbee thing that goes really far, makes a coffee maker too?  I didn't.  Mike Glass sent me the Aerobie Aero-Press, what he called the best camp coffee maker ever.  I think I agree.  It's super easy to use and clean, and brews a nice mellow cup.  So far I've used it every morning.  Thanks Mike.





No comments:

Post a Comment