Friday, February 13, 2009

bluebird day

My day got off to a bad start.  I woke up about 9:30, had coffee and a muffin, hopped in my riding gear and headed for the mountain.  It was a gorgeous bluebird day with temps in the low 20s or teens at the base of the mountain and probably about 30 on top (an inversion).  

I parked at the transit station, about halfway between jackson and the village.  It's free to park here and take the public bus to the village.  While walking from my truck to the bus stop, loaded down with my board and a case of pbr (my lift ticket), I slipped on a patch of ice and pancaked (as it's called here).  thats when you fall flat on your back.  Busted up the case (didnt lose any though), cut up my knuckles and my elbow swelled to a golf ball.  Great start.  I thought about just heading back into town but persevered.

Good thing to, it was beautiful and decent skiing.  I hiked the headwall today, once by traversing from Sublette, below the expert chutes pictured below, and then a short boot pack up to the headwall.  I found the pictures below on the internet, the second looks like today, but the first has way more snow than we have now.
  
the expert chutes from the base of casper bowl I think.

yes there were cliffs...and freshies

The headwall is what slid into the bridger restaurant in December.  Read about it here.  

So I rode casper bowl, which was good fun and good snow.  The second time I bootpacked up from the gondola (which was a bitch of a climb).  On top I ran into three snowboarders that were strapped in and followed them down.  Good thing, too, it was a great run.  

The rest of the day was spent mostly on Casper, just taking casual groomer runs and playing in the sun softened snow on the warmer sides of the trails.  My main goal was not to fall at all which I accomplished.


No comments:

Post a Comment