Wednesday, February 4, 2009

bluegrass, stories, and soreness

I finally found some folks to make music with.  I heard in passing about bluegrass tuesdays at the Wort, so I went.  Good band with two guitarists, a drummer, and a ripping mandolin player.  I'd describe the music as jam-grass, but they didnt really start jamming until the second half of the show.  Mandolin with a wa pedal was surprisingly awesome.  check em out: one ton pig 

I talked with the guitarist, Michael, after the show.  Told him I could play the fiddle and wasn't looking to perform but just to play.  He said he was always looking for people to jam with and took down my number.  Also spoke with the mandolin player, who said that there's high demand for fiddle players in jackson (score one for me).

Met a group of ~5 year locals outside the bar, including Steve, the kiter student of Bill's that I met at Bondurant.  They were headed to Steve's house and I went along, although I probably should have gone to sleep.  Met a bunch of folks, including guitar player Carsten who was interested in playing.  Hopefully tonight.

I don't think I can tell stories.  Steve called on me for a story last night, and I blanked and couldn't think of any stories.  I still can't.  I need to figure out some stories to tell, because folks here seem to spend a lot of time talking with each other, and I think as a newcomer a good story would be valuable.  I figure story telling is just something that takes some practice like anything else, but I'm really blanking.

Uh so this is a call on whoever's reading for story ideas?

So today, so far, has been a total day off.  Good thing too because i have trouble standing and walking and such.  Tomorrow I'm thinking about strapping my board on my back: hike the same hillside I hiked my first day, hike the ridge across snow king, ride down the south facing slope on the other side of snow king (mostly untracked), and then hike back to the trailhead.  A good route because I can bail at any point down snow king if time gets tight, but it will take a while.  

I went to teton mountaineering last night and talked for a long time about places to go and what was considered okay to do alone, etc, etc...  At first the woman I talked with was giving me really flat, short loops that looked boring.  Then I mentioned climbing straight up the snow king ridge and was there much over there...and she sounded surprised and gave me some better recommendations. 

2 comments:

  1. Everything sounds good with a wah pedal.

    You could tell the story of three not-so-bright young men who spent half an hour lying in a miniature forest hiding from nobody.

    ReplyDelete