Friday, February 20, 2009

hostel

The dude in the bunk  next to mine snores loudly all night.  It's impressive, but I haven't had a good nights sleep in three days.  Fortunately today I moved into a new bunk that is sufficiently far away, I think.  I moved into what is basically the long-term residents area.  

There are five other long-term residents.  The first that I met is the lady that oversees the hostel, Carlie.  Carlie's is about 40, pleasantly plump, and essentially the mother for the hostel.  She thoroughly enjoys cooking for the hostel, but can't very often due to insufficient funds.  She's a very crafty cook.  I learned how to make good, easy, cheap syrup from orange marmalade and a lemon, and she makes biscotti in the microwave.  She's happy most of the time and always excited to see me.  She swims a few times a week, sings in one or two church choirs, and watches lots of TV news.  

Often following Carlie quite vocally, is Miss Kittie.  Miss Kittie is 4 years old, all black, and part siamese.  She's loud, and meows constantly, especially in the early morning hours.  She likes to get on top of my computer while I'm trying to type and has terrible breath.  You can often spot Miss Kittie walking stealthily on the high surfaces of the hostel, or darting through hostel cubes and holes in the wall.  We have mutual respect for each other, or so I'd like to think.

Aside from Carlie the first long term resident I met is Diana.  I think Diana's not long term so much as permanent, but I'm not sure.  I don't know what she does for work, but I think she was fired recently for drinking.  She seems pretty reserved, we don't talk much.

Scott looks about 30 and travels by recumbent bicycle.  He's lived in Jackson for something like 10 years I think.  Like a lot of folks here, he works odd jobs to support his outdoor passions, which in his case is mainly backpacking.  We talk fairly frequently--about work in town, bicycle touring, recumbents, and the mountains.  He encouraged me to move to the front of the hostel if I could (which I did today).

Sarah, until today, had the cube across from mine.  Something about her rubs me the wrong way a little, although I think it's mostly due to the fact that when she drinks she drinks way too much.  When she's sober I enjoy talking to her, but otherwise I don't. 

There is also a group of Mexicans that cleans the place and does maintenance stuff, although with a busted urinal, a drain that floods poo, and water constantly running in the girls bathroom, I'm not sure how well they're doing their job.  They stay in honest to goodness rooms with walls and stuff, and I don't see them often.  I did once inquire about some food they were making and while I'm still not exactly sure what it was I tried it and it was delicious.   

A bunch of new folks showed up in the last three or so days, including the snorer, the creepy small engine mechanic, and Smiley (that's actually his name).  I don't know these folks well yet, but I do want to smack the snorer (I'm sick now)...



No comments:

Post a Comment