Thursday, February 12, 2009

open mic and the best riding yet

I played open mic at south shore pizza last night.  It was a small turnout but I met some of the regulars and played some well-received fiddle.  I drew folks out of the bar area and many cheered when i finished.  I'll probably go every week, and try to come up with some new stuff every week, which will be good for my playing.  

the fiddle sounded great plugged in, especially with a pretty professional sound setup with a board with lots of knobs and switches and sliders.

before open mic I squeezed in two hours of riding, the best decision ever.  It snowed all day at the top of the mountain and I was free to go wherever I wanted (riding solo), so I rode Thunder (lift) and the woods underneath until the lift closed.  The snow was soft, the terrain was tough, and I linked turns way faster through the steep trees than I have yet.  

I also pulled some killer manuals through the soft snow, and I'm starting to gap (soft) snowpiles/moguls.  ollies are bigger and faster, too.  I'm loving the progression.

Oh yeah I repaired my flows and moved my rear foot more forward.  Best thing I've ever done for my stance.  I came around switch a couple of times at speed (overturning) but was able to quickly slide around and hold it together.  I'm also able to keep a more centered stance on my board, and when I do kick it too far back I have a little extra board for control.  I've also angled my front foot more forward which I think helps with high speed carves.

I had a rather comical biff on my last run (gondola run).  The gondy was much more tracked than thunder, but still soft on northish faces.  I hopped at catwalk, came out of it fast and carved toeside.  It was a great carve, cut right through the fluff, but I came out of it too early and the board's energy kicked my feet out and I landed on my backside.  fun times.  I laughed at myself and now carry a cushion to sit on (joking).  but for real a tailbone bruise finished my season last year, gotta watch out.

No comments:

Post a Comment