Monday, February 2, 2009

super bowl

I went to the cadillac for the super bowl.  The place was busy as usual (for 2 for 1s), and I got to talk with a bunch of new folks.  

The game was pretty good.  The dude next to me at the bar had to explain some football stuff, but he also told me his story, which was pretty interesting.  He's older, probably 30s, married with a 1 year old.  He started working in jackson as a park ranger and wildland firefighter, which he seemed to remember fondly.  Then, with the kid, he had to change his lifestyle a bit.  He, as do/did many of the locals, lived in his truck for a while.  Unfortunately he and his wife arent making enough to support their family here, and he seemed disappointed that he was headed to massachusetts in a few months.  

He brought up an interesting point--that jackson is a good town for the very rich or the seasonal-type folks, but is a difficult place for working families (and the middle class I suppose).  

Talked with some younger skiing/climber type local dudes, but they were busy amongst themselves.  As the game ended I got talking with a crew of dudes my age with southern accents.  One was from atlanta, a couple from south carolina.  They were seasonal, and I spent the rest of the night with Doug and Steel.  They were taking a year off from school and spending it in Jackson.  Good guys, although very drunk.  I ended up sleeping on the floor of their hotel room in exchange for a ride and a some fries and a coke.

They have a pit-bull puppy living in the room with them, which is pretty crowded w/ everybody.  He's a sweet dog, but bites constantly.  Not hard, but enough to ruin decent snowboard clothes or sleeping bag.  I hope he learns not to bite before he hurts someone who isnt asking for it.

Sadly I slept a lot worse than I do in the truck.  I missed the truck, but not the cold in the morning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment