Tuesday, February 10, 2009

snowboard stuff...

I dont think I've ever been so tired.  Riding yesterday was good, today was about the same with some 4-6 inches of dust on crust.  Bumps are huge now since it hasn't snowed much, and the dust on top made conditions pretty hazardous on a lot of southern slopes.  

Did I already say I rode with steve yesterday? and it was nice?  I forget.  He showed us a couple of neat shacks in the woods.  Great sheltered places to stop and grab a snack, but demand is high!  Apparently there are a good two dozen of such shacks scattered around.

Rode with steel and doug today.  We found some fresh tracks and I had a great time ripping (or maching as folks here call it) casper.  Casper's a nice mostly southern exposure that has enough north to hold soft snow and lots of rocks and trees and stuff that make good kickers.  Doug caught some video and I'll be sure to post it as soon as I get it.

Took one digger today after hopping up onto what looked deceptively nice only to find it was mad crusty.  I should have known better, but I tried to get back to the cat track only to find a couple of icy steps between me and there.  tried to gap them but I guess I caught an edge on the last hump or the catwalk and went down face first.  Another helmet success story.

Aside from that my riding was pretty solid.  My board is in okay shape, but my flow bindings are pretty much done.  I can feel the slop in the binding while I ride, which is sketchy and unsettling.  So I've been riding my rome ratchet bindings.  They're ok, but just dont give the support, trust, or comfort of the flows.  I managed to unstrap a binding during a grab today...

So I'm shopping for some new flows, too bad they're $$$$.  I think I can probably find a pair for under 200, but shipping may be tough.  Nothing local for cheap on flows either.

I'm starting to keep my board under me better.  Bending at the knees is so key for these conditions, and keeping a neutral stance above the board lets me switch my turns up really fast.  and if i dont switch up my turns i get in trouble.  I'm definitely riding gnarlier stuff than I've ever ridden and it's a hoot.

So I think it's another day at the mountain tomorrow.  I can't say I mind, it's unreal being able to ride the village a few times a week.  More snow in the forecast for wednesday, think snow for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment